Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Lent 2011: Learn of Jesus Christ to die (Final)

"Father into your hands I commit my spirit" Jesus uttered his last words on the cross. It displays the voluntary nature of Christ's death. His life was not taken from him, but he laid it freely down, because of love.

Jesus warned his disciples that he would die. In John’s gospel he says:
(Jn 10:17-18) The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life--only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.

The end was reached. Perfect master of his self chosen destiny and unconquered by suffering, pain, and death, he cries out with a loud voice and commits his spirit into the hands of his Father. No one else ever died like this. His birth was unique, his ministry was incomparable and now his death is unique too. He died of his own free will. Who but our Lord could have done this? It is proof of his perfection and uniqueness.

Why did Jesus die willingly? Why did he willingly pass from life to death?
On account of our sins! Two things were necessary for Jesus to remove the guilt of our sin and appease the wrath of God. Firstly he had to be judged and suffer. This he already did. Secondly, he had to taste death.

With us sinners it is death first, and then judgment. With the Saviour it is first judgment and then death. This he did to save us. He died willingly to take the sting from our death and change it into a gateway to God’s peace and joy.
Hallelujah! What a Saviour!

No comments: