Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Sunday Prayers - 2011

A litany of responsive prayers based on
Fourteen Stations of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ
to be used during worship on Easter Sunday.


Minister: Almighty God of love, of life and of salvation - listen to our prayer and receive our thanks and our devotions.

1. Minister: Jesus has risen from the dead. "And the angel of the Lord said to the women: 'Do not be afraid! He is not here, for he has been raised just as he said.".
Congregation: Christ has risen indeed! Dear Lord Jesus, because you are alive, I too shall live.

2. Minister: John went into the empty tomb, and he saw and believed.
Congregation: Lord Jesus, you were dead and now you live forever. Fill my heart with the joy and peace of your eternal Life.

3. Minister: Mary Magdalene met the risen Jesus, but did not know it was him. Jesus said to her, 'Mary!" She turned and said to him ‘Rabbouni,.
Congregation: Dear Jesus, without you finding me, I would be lost. You called me by my name, even when I did not recognize you. I worship you, my Saviour and my Lord.

4. Minister: Jesus appeared on the road to Emmaus and walked with 2 disciples. 'Oh, how foolish you are! How slow of heart to believe all that the prophets spoke, he said!
Congregation: Lord Jesus, you are alive! Grant me hope through the Word that brings me your life!.

5. Minister: Jesus was known in the breaking of bread with two disciples from Emmaus.
Congregation: O Lord of life, your Word will soothe our burning hearts. Thank you, Lord Jesus, for your persistence in teaching even me.

6. Minister: Jesus also appeared to the disciples in Jerusalem.
Congregation: Lord Jesus, you are truly alive! Grant me hope through the Word that shows me your hands and feet and thus brings me faith and life.

7. Minister: Jesus gave the disciples his peace and the authority to proclaim the forgiveness of sins.
Congregation: Heavenly Lord, you made me your messenger to proclaim the forgiveness of sins. You truly bring good news to all who receive you in faith.

8. Minister: Jesus strengthened the faith of Thomas .
Congregation: Oh holy Christ, my Lord and my God! In you I find the power to live, to be free of doubt, and to know you always.

9. Minister: Jesus appeared by the Sea of Tiberias and called the disciples to have breakfast with him.
Congregation: Dear Lord Jesus, I offer my life to you who calls and enables me.

10. Minister: Jesus forgave Peter that he denied his Lord and asked, 'Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?'
Congregation: Forgiving Christ, I do love you. I will express my love by keeping your lambs and grazing your sheep. I will build up your Church.

11. Minister: Jesus commissioned the disciples on the mountain to go and make disciples of all the nations.
Congregation: Heavenly Lord, you are with me always. I pray that I will know you, and bring others to see your power and love.

12. Minister: The Lord Jesus ascended to heaven.
Congregation: My Lord, you have risen from the grave, and you have risen to heaven. Help me to be ready on the day when you descend from the clouds to reign forevermore.

13. Minister: Then the disciples waited in prayer for ten days.
Congregation: Lord Jesus Christ, help me to pray with patience and endurance, never losing faith in your passion to save sinners.

14. Minister: The Holy Spirit descended on God’s people at Pentecost
Fill me Lord, with your Spirit.
The Spirit has come and Jesus will soon return.
Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit
!
Amen.

No comments: