Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Jesus Crucified!



Luke 23: 33 : When they came to the place that is called The Skull, they crucified Jesus there with the criminals, one on his right and one on his left.

Jesus was crucified at "the place that is called The Skull". The other Gospels mention that it was called Golgotha, the Greek transliteration of an Aramaic word that means "skull." We get the English word "Calvary" by way of the Latin “calvariae locum”, which also means place of the skull.

Jesus died for my sins. The death of Jesus really happened, in a real place at a real time. There the Lord of Glory suffered and died for the sins of the world - and for my own sins. I yearn to experience the truth of Jesus’ death more profoundly. The images of the Via Dolorosa invite me to follow Jesus to the cross, that I may experience deeper gratitude for the blessings I can so easily take for granted.

Prayer: Gracious Lord, how can I ever thank you for dying on the cross for me? Your death has given me life. Your sacrifice has led to my blessing. Yet I confess that I can sometimes take your death for granted, forgetting what you did for me and neglecting its significance. Forgive me, Lord. And even though I can't go to the actual place of your crucifixion, may the reality of your sacrifice presses itself upon my mind and flood my heart. All praise to you, merciful Lord, for your cross! Amen.

No comments: