Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Jesus meets women on his way to Calvary



Luke 23:27- 28 A great number of the people followed him, and among them were women who were beating their breasts and wailing for him. But Jesus turned to them and said, “Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children.”

Jesus did not die as a helpless victim of Roman or Jewish injustice. He chose to die on the cross in faithfulness to the Father's will and to bear the sin of the world. If anyone is to blame for the death of Jesus, we are, because we have sinned. Thus in looking upon Jesus' death, we join the women of Jerusalem in weeping, not for Jesus, but for ourselves. In the death of Jesus we see what we deserve, and we rightly feel appalled.

Prayer: May my weeping over the suffering of Jesus be the result of my sorrow over my own sin that caused your pain. Turn it to joy when I recognize the majesty of your mercy. Amen

No comments: