Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Simon of Cyrene helped to carry the cross



Luke 23:26: As they led him away, they seized a man, Simon of Cyrene, who was coming from the country, and they laid the cross on him, and made him carry it behind Jesus.

Jesus beckons to us, calling us to take up our cross, offering abundant life in return. “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me. For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it. (Luke 9:23-24).

Self denial and losing our lives for the sake of the cause of Christ may be the hardest call on our lives. But the truth is, it carries the most awesome promise: that I will see glorious realization with Christ in glory – and my life will be saved for all eternity.

Prayer
Dear Lord, I am also to take up the cross and follow you. I sometimes resist this call, even though I know that in dying to myself, I find true life in you. So help me, Lord, to carry my cross and to give my life away, so that I might receive the abundant life of your kingdom. Amen.

No comments: