Monday, March 16, 2009

Jesus sentenced


Pontius Pilate is a paradigm of the person who fails to take responsibility for his actions. Pilate issued the verdict that sent Jesus to the cross. Yet he did so in a way to appear innocent of the blood of Jesus. He did not take responsibility for what he had done.

Matthew 27:23-24 “What crime has he committed?" asked Pilate. But they shouted all the louder, "Crucify him!" When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "It is your responsibility!"

How often do we blame our sins on others? How often do we fail to take responsibility, preferring to hold others responsible for whom we are: the way we were raised, society for mistreating us, the weaknesses of church people, our unfair boss, or spouse or even our kids?

When blaming others when I do wrong, I won't confess what I have done as sin. This will keep me from experiencing the grace of God, enjoying the fullness of God's forgiveness.

When tempted to be like Pilate, we will do well to remember these verses from 1 John: 1: 8 - 10
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Don't try to wash your hands of what you have done wrong. Be blessed when you tell God the truth about your sins, and experience his forgiveness through Christ Jesus.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to acknowledge my sins, both to myself and to you, rather than justifying myself through immature and pointless excuses and defences. By your Spirit, guide me to see clearly where I have missed your mark, that I may confess truly and experience the forgiveness you offer in Christ Jesus. My hands will only be clean, Lord, when I am washed in the blood of the Lamb! Amen.

No comments: