Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. (4)

The Lord’s plan is to lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

Psalms 61: 1 – 3    Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer.  From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint;  lead me to the rock that is higher than I. For you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.

We know the Lord’s plans for us are to prosper and that no harm will overcome us.  What we do not know, is what the journey to victory entails.
Psalm 61 encourages prayer as a source of help, of strength and of winning the battles on the way.  Although we in faith mostly know that we will win the “war” - we often are concerned about the battles.

Even as our hearts grow faint, we will call, we will cry and beg our God to listen to our plea and provide for us in the battle of every day. Notice the need for a place to hide under some circumstances: a strong tower for defense and a tent for resting and refuge.  God is our tower of refuge and strength.

But more importantly, we need a high rock, a firm place, from where we will launch our attack and secure victory!   Fighting with sword and shield requires a high place, a steadfast rock and the advantage of height and a good view of the enemy. We need a place to dig in, to recover, turn the fight around and catch up even while it feels as if we are losing.  

God is much more than a place to hide from adversary.  He also provides the higher rock from where we will launch the victory.  Jesus is our Rock! In Christ only do we make our stand!

Our experience shows that although we know the Lord Jesus to be our sure salvation in all our needs, we often struggle to come to him, as a result of our many doubts, fears and hesitation. A Saviour would have been of no use to us if the Holy Spirit had not gently led us to him, and enabled us to rest on him. We often feel that we not only need a rock, but a dire need to be led to him, even Jesus our Redeemer.


May our Lord today lead you to the higher Rock by his Spirit and give you the courage to win the battles, as our God, in Jesus, already won the war.

No comments: