Wednesday, September 18, 2013

I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. (3)

The Lord will shepherd me because his plans for me are to be safe and to prosper.

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil;
For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Psalm 23 always has been a comfort in the face of uncertainty, fear and danger.  In times when we experience neediness, we certainly want to hear the Word of God saying:  “I shall not want”, meaning, I will not lack what I must have to survive - even to prosper. In looking for an understanding of his plans for me and when his plans are still unclear, the Lord will lead me on his path until I find rest in his green pasture!

Our survival in this challenging time depends on our faith that God is our shepherd, our keeper, our guide, our defender, our strength and our provider.   In his presence my soul, meaning the control centre of my mind, my will, my desires, my emotions and my faith, will be replenished through the peace I find in trusting our Lord’s plan for me.

The Lord refills my cup by leading me on his righteous path.  For the sake of his glory he brings us from the back roads of our foolishness and redirects us to follow the high ways of his wisdom.  Then only can peace and can rest be found – as we journey towards his gracious purpose for us, instead of seeking self-destruction through foolish choices, bitterness and doubt.

On the Lord’s path I will not fear, even when evil impacts on my life’s journey.  The presence of the Lord is like eating from a rich buffet where he prepared a banquet of love, peace, security, contentment and rest for me.

I will remain a faithful, enduring resident in the Lord’s house. It is my safe haven, my source of courage and of the directions of the Lord’s plans, the Lord’s journey, with me. 
Where else can I find a place to feast when I face an enemy and when I face my fears, than in the house of my God?


No comments: