Monday, May 30, 2011

Jesus is...

Jesus makes seven "I am" statements recorded in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, according to John.
I am the bread of life (6:35,48; cf 6:41,51)
I am the light of the world (8:12)
I am the door (10:7,9)
I am the good shepherd (10:11,14)
I am the resurrection and the life (11:25)
I am the way, and the truth, and the life (14:6)
I am the vine (15:1,5
)

"I am," recalls the words of God to Moses out of the burning bush: "I AM WHO I AM." As such, by each of these statements Jesus tells us about his mission: to bring life, to be light, to be the door, to lay down his life for the sheep. And, by each of these statements Jesus also tell us about his person: that he is the second Person of the eternal, triune God, Creator of heaven and earth!

The message of the “I am” statements is that it is only in Jesus, it is only in union with Jesus, it is only by participating in Jesus, it is only by believing in Jesus, that we receive true life in all its facets and on the last day, resurrection.

No comments: