Saturday, March 8, 2014

Liturgical prayers during Lent

Call to Worship:
Psalm 52: 8 and 9:   I am like an olive tree flourishing in the house of God; I trust in God’s unfailing love forever and ever.  For what you have done I will always praise you in the presence of your faithful people.  And I will hope in your name, for your name is good.

Give thanks to God, because through his mercy we received the spirit of discipline that we may triumph over evil and grow in grace.
Glory to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, gracious and merciful, world without end!
Come, let us worship the Lord, our God!

Prayer of praise:
Gracious, merciful Lord, how hard is it to read and hear of the abuse your only begotten Son suffered even prior to his crucifixion. What can I say in response, but "Thank You" for Jesus walking the path of grief, suffering and shame for my sake. Our Lord took the abuse that I deserved, and gave us his glory in return.

Dear Lord Jesus, you chose the cross. Those who led you to Golgotha were simply working out what God our Father had willed and you, Lord Jesus, had freely and lovingly chosen.  How can I thank you for this costly choice?  Because you took up the cross, I am forgiven and can take up life in all of its fullness. Make me eternally grateful, Lord Jesus.
Father -   glory, honour and praise to you, who gave us your Son. Help us to believe in him and we will never perish, but praise and worship you, with the Son and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.
Amen.

Prayer for the forgiveness of Sin:
O Lord, as much as I hate to confess it, there is a bit of Judas in me. Forgive me for the times when I pledged allegiance to you, made promises to you, only to discard you in the way that I live. Help me to see where my message to you is a mixed one, where worship and praise and betrayal and deceit live in the very same heart.
Forgive me, dear Lord, when I let fear get in the way of my relationship with you. Forgive me for all the times I have fallen short in my discipleship, because I've been afraid. Forgive me for failing to trust you when you've proven through your suffering to be completely worthy of my trust.
Dear Lord, help me to acknowledge my sins, both to myself and to you, rather than justifying myself through immature and pointless excuses and defences.  My hands will only be clean, Lord, when I am washed in the blood of the Lamb.
(Now let us all, during a time of silence repent of our sins and in faith expect the forgives of God)
O Father who forgives and restores - grant me faith in the atoning death and victorious resurrection of Jesus in my place and, by your Spirit, teach me how to live and how to love.
Through Jesus Christ, our Lord.
Amen.

Prayer for enlightenment:
Guide us, O God, by your Word and Spirit, that in your light we may see light, in your truth find freedom, and in your will discover our peace;
through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Amen.

Prayers of Intercession:
Eternally kind and gracious God and Father of us all, thank you for your mercy.
You give us what we need, not according to what we deserve, but according to your infinite grace and love.  Thank you for hearing our cries and responding, remembering even me. Thank you for the promise I have of Paradise beyond this life.

Father God, our hope and our salvation, listen to our prayers.

Oh Lord, through your Spirit, enthuse  all believers to carry forward the torch that saints have carried from generation to generation, since the beginning of the Church,  without compromise or fear, that the Light of the world, Jesus Christ our Lord,  will guide all nations to follow God’s reformation plan for their countries and for humanity.  And make your people holy, as you, our God, is holy!

God of mercy and love, send the Holy Spirit to enable every Christian to proclaim the Gospel in the rural areas and amongst the poorest communities and to liberate through Jesus our Lord,  everyone from fear, superstition and false religion. Save those who are lost as the result of human wisdom, worldly leadership and manmade schemes. May we all, because we are in need of salvation, put our trust in the only Saviour of the world, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Redeemer.

Holy and almighty God, unite preachers of and listeners to God’s work, both the leaders and the members of all faith communities, to work together without envy, personal agenda’s or personal politics to accomplish their best endeavours for the work of God, sparing nothing and giving everything for the redemption of all people and the growth of God’s work in local churches and in the worldwide assembly of the faithful. 

In your mercy, dear Lord, grant peace to peoples worn out by civil war, violence, unrest and military threats to their countries.  Provide for generosity to refugees, all foreigners, all who had to abandon their homes and motherlands and Lord, protect their safety and dignity.

O tender and gracious Creator, our Lord and God, heal all who suffer from depression and are lonely, sad and afraid and grant that your children will help them to see and experience the mercy and the love of God and his Church.
Call and help health workers who will bless community health programs, clinics and hospitals to provide for excellent care of all who are ill, treating those who are sick with respect and love.
And now, Father, listen to our prayers for those in our congregation who are ill, afflicted and in pain.
We pray for.......

Father, grant us and all your children a blessed Lenten Season. Make it a time of spiritual growth, commitment to you and your Kingdom and a time to strengthen and increase our love for you, our Redeemer and our Saviour.  
Prepare our hearts by remembering what Jesus did for us when he suffered, died and was buried for our sake to, at a time so soon to come, be truly able to celebrate that for our sake and for the glory of your name, your gracious Son rose from the dead, ascended to heaven and graciously reign over us as exalted Lord and God of your Church and of all creation.

Gracious Lord Jesus, how can I ever thank you enough for dying for me on the cross?  Your death has given me life. Your sacrifice has led to my blessing. Help me never to take your death for granted, forgetting what you did for me and neglecting its significance. May the reality of your sacrifice press itself upon my mind and flood my heart.

As we hear your eternal Word, even Jesus our Saviour, make us truly thankful, living your Gospel and sharing your gifts and your deliverance, as we seek your face and long for a closer walk with you.
Through Jesus Christ, our Lord.

Amen.

No comments: