Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Something new for Good Friday!

You sometimes find something new, by doing something old again.
The old tradition is to preach on the seven words on the cross on Good Friday.
What is new, is to create a response by the congregation singing one verse after each short devotion on the message of that specific word on the cross.
I wrote these lyrics for that purpose and you are welcome to use it, or some of it, if you want to.
It is based on the well known and much loved hymn – When I survey....
I know it came out as a sort of ballad, but don’t hold that against me...

Sermon – readings, devotions and response in song: Seven words on the Cross:
First Reading and devotion on Luke 23: 34: "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do."
Congregation sings:
When I survey the wondrous cross
on which the Prince of glory died,
my richest gain I count but loss,
and pour contempt on all my pride.

Second Reading and devotion: Luke 23:43: "Truly, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise."
Congregation sings:
I’ll cherish the cross, where I am saved,
his love displayed as thorny crown,
his life for me he freely gave -
my sin I at his cross laid down.

Third Reading and devotion: John 19:26-27; "Jesus said to his mother: "Woman, this is your son". Then he said to the disciple: "This is your mother."
Congregation sings:
God’s church commenced there at the cross,
his life he gave to set us free;
all else I count as fruitless loss -
now live for Christ and Christ’s family.

Fourth Reading and devotion: Matthew 27:46 and Mark 15:34; "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
Congregation sings:
Yes, Jesus called, in agony:
“Oh, why my God, did you forsake me?”
There where he suffered hell’s torment,
God turned on him at Calvary.

Fifth Reading and devotion; John 19:28; "I thirst"
Congregation sings:
My Jesus thirsted on the cross,
He quenched my need that darkened day,
He who gives water, suffered loss;
as on the alter all he laid.

Sixth Reading and devotion: John 19:30; When Jesus had received the wine, he said, "It is finished";
Congregation sings:
All of his work, our Jesus did,
His work he finished, all he had done.
Completed our salvation that day,
redeemed me there, God’s gracious Son.

Seventh Reading and devotion: Luke 23:46; Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit":
Congregation sings:
My Saviour died on that old cross,
he breathed his last breath on that day.
In our dear Father’s hand he was then,
as on the altar, all he laid.

This is the Word of God.
Thanks be to God
.

No comments: