Monday, March 28, 2011

Lent 2011: Sixth Station of the Cross

Jesus is scourged and crowned with thorns
The Sixth Station of the cross

John 19: 2 & 3: And the soldiers wove a crown of thorns and put it on his head, and they dressed him in a purple robe. They kept coming up to him, saying, “Hail, King of the Jews!” and striking him on the face.

What cruel irony! Jesus finally received the words he deserved: "Hail, King of the Jews!"
What incomprehensible irony! Jesus, the true King of Israel endured the pain and mockery of the crown of thorns as part of his humiliation for us and our salvation.

Prayer
Gracious, merciful Lord, how hard it is to read of the abuse you suffered even prior to your crucifixion. What can I say in response, but "Thank You" for walking the path of grief, suffering and shame for my sake. You took the abuse that I deserved, and gave me your glory in return. Help me, dear Lord, to always honour you as my King in all that I do. Amen
.

No comments: