Monday, November 9, 2009

Redeemed!!



The original image of the terms redeemer and redemption introduces us to the language of the market-place and of commerce. The most basic meaning of "to redeem" something is "to buy it or to buy it back." It became a technical term in the ancient world for the purchase of a slave in order to liberate or free him or her. Redeem, then, refers to the release of someone or something by the payment of a huge ransom price.

In the Gospel the concept of redemption is central to the Good News about Jesus. In a familiar text Jesus says, "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many" (Mk 10:45). And Paul writes to Timothy: There is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all. (1 Tim 2:5-6).

The Bible is clearly talking about redemption – about the payment of a price, the life and death of our Lord, in order to set his people free.

We need to celebrate redemption with our whole life. We need to celebrate that we now belong to the living Jesus. We are reconciled with God. We now only live for our Redeemer!

Yesterday we sang this song in church:

While I’m alive, or when I die,
I’m not afraid! You ask me why?
’Cause I belong, to Jesus Christ, my Lord!
I have no need for anything,
or any other solace.
Christ now owns my everything,
faithful Saviour Jesus!
In life and death, he remains, my Comforter.

I know my sin; it is forgiven.
I only live, for God in heaven,
It’s Christ alone, who guides me in my life!



Believe it!

No comments: