Monday, January 12, 2015

The Baptism of Jesus.

The Baptism of Jesus.
In Mark 1 we are taught that the baptism of Jesus is the beginning of his ministry.  He was ordained into the calling to be the Messiah when God encountered him at his baptism.
“Just as Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: ‘You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.’”  (Mark1: 10 – 11)

Later on, toward the close of his ministry, Jesus himself makes clear that baptism leads to a new way of life. When the brothers James and John ask to be seated next to Jesus in the life to come, Jesus points out that “the baptism with which I am baptized, you will be baptized” (Mark 10:39). To be baptized in Jesus is to follow him and to be his servant.  We too were ordained into our calling to serve the Lord in al we do when we were baptized.

We therefore also share with our Saviour  in a sacred promise from our God:

“You are my child whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

No comments: