Monday, March 11, 2013

Lent 2013: Pontius Pilate


Pontius Pilate is a paradigm of the person who fails to take responsibility for his actions. Pilate issued the verdict that sent Jesus to the cross. Yet he did so in a way to appear innocent of the blood of Jesus.  He did not take responsibility for what he had done. He tried to ceremoniously wash his hands of what he was doing wrong.

Matthew 27:23-24  “What crime has he committed?" asked Pilate. But they shouted all the louder, "Crucify him!" When Pilate saw that he was getting nowhere, but that instead an uproar was starting, he took water and washed his hands in front of the crowd. "I am innocent of this man's blood," he said. "It is your responsibility!"

When blaming others when I do wrong, I won't confess what I have done as sin. This will keep me from experiencing the grace and the mercy of God, enjoying the fullness of God's forgiveness. We will be blessed when we tell God the truth about our sins, and experience his forgiveness through Christ Jesus.

Pray that the Lord will help you to acknowledge your sins, what you have done to harm yourself, others and God’s work. Pray that God will help you to stop justifying yourself through immature and pointless excuses, defences and rationalisations
I can only be clean when I am washed in the blood of the Lamb!

No comments: