Friday, May 25, 2012

Prayer for Pentecost Sunday


Prayer for Pentecost Sunday,
inspired by very old, classic prayers for Pentecost, but simplified.

Almighty and eternal God, who promised to regenerate us by water and the Holy Spirit, and has given us forgiveness of all our sins, now fulfil your pledge to send to us from heaven your Holy Spirit, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of guidance and resilience, the Spirit of knowledge and godliness, and fill us with faithful reverence, that we may learn to always fear, serve and love you, o God, our only refuge.

Come, O blessed Spirit of worship, penetrate my heart, that I may set you, my Lord and God, before me always, help me to turn away from all things that offend you; and make me worthy to appear before your pure eyes, our divine King in heaven, where you live and reign in the unity of the most holy Trinity, our eternal God.

Come, O blessed Spirit of godliness, possess my heart.  Enthuse in me such a love for God that I may find satisfaction only in your service, and for your sake lovingly submit to all good and holy authority.

Come, O blessed Spirit of strength, uphold my soul in time of trouble and difficulty, sustain my labours to be holy, strengthen my weak heart,  give me courage against all the assaults of your and my enemies, that I may never be overcome and be separated from you,  my God and my Redeemer.

Come, O blessed Spirit of knowledge, and grant that I may perceive the will of the Father; show me the emptiness of earthly things, that I may realize their arrogance and I may use them only for your glory and for my salvation, looking ever beyond this world to you and your eternal reward.

Come, O Spirit of understanding, and enlighten our minds, that we may know and believe all the mysteries of salvation; and may at last see the eternal light in your Light; and, in the light of your glory, have a vision of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Come, O Spirit of guidance, help and direct me in all my ways, that I may always do your holy will. Incline my heart to that which is good; turn it away from all that is evil, and direct me by the straight path of your commandments to live the eternal life I earnestly desire.

Come, O Spirit of wisdom, and reveal to my soul the mysteries of the heavenly things, their exceeding greatness, power, and beauty. Teach me to love the heavenly treasures beyond all the passing joys and satisfactions of earth. Help me to receive your heavenly mysteries and possess them forever.

Come, O Holy Spirit, fill my heart and my life with the heavenly fruit, your love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control that I may never become downhearted in the service of God, but, by continued faithful submission to your inspiration, may be united eternally with you, O Spirit of Christ, in the love of the Father and of the Son.

Through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

No comments: