Sunday, August 21, 2011

Our relationship with Jesus results in the fruit of love for each other

If we do not know Jesus, we can do nothing good!

As we look around our congregation, we see people whose lives reveal the glory of Jesus! Their witness strengthens our faith. We are strengthened by them and they by us, and together we reveal Jesus' glory, and as we reveal his grandeur, we help others to believe in him.

In the "true vine" context, Jesus says, "Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch (of the vine) cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me, and I in them, bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing" (John 15:4-5).

The fruit that Jesus speaks about is revealing his love through our love for each other as his children, thus sharing his joy with a sad, lost world, because he is the answer, the Saviour, the true source of life and hope, of meaning and fruit. In John 15: 10 – 11 Jesus says: “If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.” Our relationship with Jesus results in the fruit of love for each other and complete joy in his service.

If we really want to honour Jesus, this is how we do it: by loving one another. When we do, people will look at us and see Jesus living in us and, understanding his message, believe, take heart and give him glory! Only then our discipleship will be complete.

No comments: