Monday, January 12, 2009

True and false repentance




Two kinds of repentance are possible in human experience. One is a feeling induced by the fear of getting caught. This results in a superficial sorrow that may lead to a temporary reformation.
True repentance, on the other hand, results in an authentic turning to Christ for forgiveness.

2 Cor 7: 11 and 12 tells us about the blessings we receive through genuine sorrow about our sins: “And now, isn't it wonderful all the ways in which this distress (about our sins) has goaded you closer to God? You're more alive, more concerned, more sensitive, more reverent, more human, more passionate, more responsible. Looked at from any angle, you've come out of this (distress about your sins) with purity of heart.” (The Message)

Be blessed by finding God’s way for you, when you pray with David today: (Ps 139:23-24) “Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me; Cross-examine and test me, get a clear picture of what I'm about; See for yourself whether I've done anything wrong: then guide me on the road to eternal life.” (The Message)

The end result of true repentance is daily living on the road to heaven!

No comments: