Thursday, August 14, 2008

THE POWER OF SUFFERING

Around the world more and more preachers claim that the basic message of the Gospel is: "Come to God, do things his way, and your quality of life will improve." Whether the emphasis is on the improvement of spiritual experience, prosperity, wisdom and knowledge, or even social issues, the promise is given that day to day life will change for the better if you believe in Jesus.

But is this Biblical? Is it actually what New Testament Christianity was – and is about? Was it really the experience of 1st century New Testament leaders and believers?

Remember the Apostles. History shows us that of the eleven left after the departure of Judas, ten were martyred for their faith while John was banished to the prison island of Patmos. No lives of any worldly success and improvement for these (faithful) followers of Jesus!

Just look at what Paul said about himself:
I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely,(than the other Apostles) and been exposed to death again and again. 24 Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my own countrymen, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false brothers. 27 I have laboured and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. 28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. (2 Corinthians 11:23-28).

Is this an ordinary story of success, happiness, prestige and fulfilment? No, certainly not! One is forced to conclude that Paul’s life, after meeting Jesus, was not one of great human happiness. Indeed, it finally resulted in martyrdom in Rome around 66/67 AD. This would not have been a surprise to him, as he would have been told by Ananias (on the day of his conversion!) what the Lord had said:

15 But the Lord said to Ananias, “Go! This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel. 16 I will show him how much he must suffer for my name.” (Acts 9:15-16)


Jesus experienced suffering too, as was prophesied by Isaiah about 700 years earlier:
3 He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. (Isaiah 53:3)

Of course we know that after the suffering of his death Jesus rose in victory in his resurrection body, having crushed the power of Satan, sin and death. This is the eternal promise that we share in also. In the meantime however, we share in his sufferings and he shares in ours, for we are called to serve like Jesus.

It is not by chance that Christianity today is expanding in Muslim countries, China, and others where believers suffer persecution for their faith in Jesus. For true believers, suffering brings us closer to God! This is the power of suffering for Christ: Jesus shares in our suffering. It results in faithfulness, evangelistic zeal – and most of all the powerful energy that comes from sharing God’s desire that the perfectly holy Kingdom of Christ will come when he returns and all suffering will stop for ever. The dream of and passion for the coming of this Kingdom powerfully brings us, not prosperity and prestige, but true faithfulness, obedience and diligence for Christ’s sake.

As Paul said:
10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:10).

The power of suffering is that that it changes selfish, greedy or lazy Christians, into good and faithful ones!

"Lord, give me the strength I need, when called upon to suffer for you, to work for you, to live for you and to sacrifice everything for the sake of your Kingdom. Amen."

No comments: